Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday?

Happy Fat Tuesday! So today is the famous Marti Gras, and today I wanted to talk about it, not just for you to read, but also for me to learn something… HA!
Marti Gras Beads
 (Purple- Royalty (King), Gold- Power and Green- Wealth)
So what is Marti Gras and Fat Tuesday? Well “Marti Gras” is French for “Fat Tuesday”. It commemorates the celebration of eating fatty foods or a feast in order to prepare for lent which begins on Ash Wednesday (Tomorrow) which occurs 46 days before Easter (40 days not counting Sundays)  . Growing up we never celebrated these, partly because we were not Catholic, though I have read that many Christians give something up in order to prepare for Easter. So I don’t think just because you aren’t catholic you can’t participate. Though the Pope might disagree I’m not sure.. HA! (I doubt he reads this) J  
Though I don’t believe massive partying was intended by the ancient church and priests, I do believe they had a big feast, but today’s Marti Gars I believe is taken way out of context from its original meaning.

King Cake eaten for Fat Tuesday
This year I have decided that I would partake in lent, though I'm praying that God would revel it to me, that he wants me to give up hopefully by tomorrow. J  I challenge you to join me.
Lucy


No comments:

Post a Comment