Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hello Mr. Sandman!

I feel like I always have to apologize for the inconstancies with my blog writing. My MIL made the comment to me last night that “I haven’t blogged in a while”.. eeks.. I’m failing again! Ha! So after trying to figure out something intriguing to write about, everything around me/us these days is so negative and  mostly concerning the Middle East, and since its almost the weekend,  today is something you might ALL enjoy reading! J SLEEP!
I love to sleep and I don’t know many people that don’t. There are so many benefits and I have still yet to figure out why I can’t remember sleeping. Though with our society so reliant upon, iphones, blackberries, laptops, Jobs, text messaging, twitter, and ultimately being at the center of all communication ALL the TIME; I for sure see why many people don’t get enough sleep. I used to be a Night OWL. I loved working out at 9.00 pm, coming up getting ready for bed, reading and usually going to bed about 12.30 am or so. When L and I got married, yup you guessed this CHANGED. He sleeps at the drop of a hat, in fact I thought he might be a little insomniac because it takes him literally 2-4 minutes to fall asleep and he is snoring by this time HA!; and on a perfect night he’s in bed by 9.30. For like month or so I would just lay there on my laptop and watch the news, or whatever. Now it’s rather funny because I’m telling him at 9.30 its time to go to bed. Is funny how your body changes and begins to adapt.
So… Interesting enough, according the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) More than a third of Americans regularly sleep less than seven hours a night, thus affecting their ability to concentrate and remember efficiently.  Short sleep duration was found among 35 percent of adults surveyed, and 48 percent reported snoring, an unhealthy behavior, according to a study in the journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report today. About 39 percent of respondents aged 25 to 54 reported sleeping less than 7 hours in a day. The most common side effect of sleep-related difficulties was loss of concentration, followed by trouble remembering, another report found. Most adults need SEVEN to NINE hours of slumber to avoid higher likelihood of illness and death, the Washington-based National Sleep Foundation said. (Source: Bloomberg)
An old Chinese proverb that I learned while in China is : 早起早睡,精神百倍, zǎo qǐ zǎo shuì, jīng shén bǎi bèi) meaning early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy and wise.

Happy Sleeping J

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment