Tuesday, May 3, 2011

”All leadership is influence"

What is Leadership? How do we Lead? What does it mean to Lead? What sets apart a Leader from a Follower? All of these questions I want to know the answer to. I should also tell you that there are so many GREAT quotes from GREAT people on Leadership. {I could only pick a few} :)
Leadership: Leading is establishing direction and influencing others to follow that direction. I think many people lead in different ways depending on the Person. There is Corporate Leadership {CEO’s}, Political Leadership {The President, Prime Minister}, Spiritual Leadership {Pastors}, as well as Family Leadership {The Husband}.  I think we would all agree that we each aspire to be great leaders, but why is it only a few make it to that level?
I defiantly think we are NOT born leaders. I was babysitting my nephew once and while we were driving, we drove past his favorite donut shop {Rick’s Bakery} he shouted “Do-Nuts Wucy, Do-Nuts”. Now even though he was 2 ½ at the time he knew the scenery but if we were lost, he would not be able to lead me there nor give me directions in order to get there. Not because of his lack of talking or communicating or understanding, but because he needed to learn this; thus leadership is something we develop over time, not born with.
To lead means having passion, being an effective communicator, listener, and having a plan. I have high political aspirations as well as high International aspirations and I know I will fail somewhere along the way, but that is where I place my faith in the one and only Jesus Christ, in order to help me succeed and meet those goals.
I once heard:  a Great Leader talks 20% of the time and LISTENS 80% and the followers TALK 80% of the time and Listen 20%. Is this true for you? I know sometimes I need to hush and listen. :) ...But that's easier said than done!
The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.”- John Maxwell

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment