Wednesday, May 4, 2011

7 and 1 on Food Stamps

Outrageous! Ok so if you know me well. I tend to be a little outspoken, and I should probably preface this by saying {I’m sorry} HA! I am not saying food stamps are wrong. I am saying they are COMPLETELY taken advantage of.
So a little brief history: The United States Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program {SNAP},  historically and commonly known as the Food Stamp Program, is a federal-assistance program that provides assistance to low- and no-income people and families living in the U.S. Though the program is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, benefits are distributed by the individual U.S. states. {Source Wikipedia}
According to the Article on the WSJ by Sara Murray {Read it Heresaid "Growth in the food stamp program appeared to reach a plateau in February — with 14.3% of the population relying on the safety net program. The number of food stamp recipients with the most recent month available, with 44.2 million Americans receiving benefits, according a new report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. {See data here.} The food stamp program ballooned during the recession as workers lost their jobs or saw their hours and income reduced. The rise in recipients has begun to flatten in recent months, which may mean that as the economy is improving fewer Americans are seeking to join the program. Enrollment in the program is still high though, with 11.6% more people tapping benefits in February than the same month a year earlier.
Mississippi and Oregon were among the states with the largest share of the population utilizing food stamps in February: At least ONE in FIVE residents in each state were receiving benefits. While Wyoming had the lowest rate of recipients with just 6.6% of the state’s residents using food stamps."
Arkansas: Our population in 2010 was 2,926,229, and in 2011 we had 460,754 people on food stamps,  that’s 16.5% of our population. The numbers are staggering.  So let me re-iterate the fact that I am not opposed of programs that “Help People in Need” though I feel like many people take advantage of the system. If you have lost your job and you are currently looking for a new one, and are low on funds… completely understand this scenario, BUT if you lost your job 5 years ago and are not looking for another nor do you want to go back to work and you continue to receive state support. I think that is taking advantage of the system. I am not Governor of this state yet, but I will promise that if and when I ever run and if and when I am elected, many of the people on these programs will be investigated and determined whether they are “In NEED” or “Taking Advantage”. There is a fine line there, but these numbers don’t lie.

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment