Thursday, February 10, 2011

send me a letter Mr. Postman.

Have you ever heard the song "Please Mr. Postman" by Diana Ross? It's pretty "Old School" although I do remember it, as my mom used to jam to "Oldies" back in the day! Ha! Today I came across the Christmas card that L and I sent out this past year. I don't know about you, but before L and I got married I knew our postal carrier by name... Ms. Vicki. She drove a Navy Blue truck from the passenger’s seat, with "Mail Carrier, Frequent Stops" plastered all over the truck. She was a nice little lady; in fact I wondered how she reached the petals and drove at the same time because Ms. Vicki was SHORT! She even HAND-Deliever wedding presents!


I came across a story that I reminded me of Ms.Vicki today. Did you know that The Postal Service delivers mail six days a week to nearly 140 million addresses. Every year this number increases by 2 million? The USPS interesting enough is supported solely by the government and receives NO TAX dollars. In the last couple of years, they have seen a massive decline in revenue because EMAIL'S have dominated as a way of communication. In Q1 of 2011, the USPS suffered a $329 Million LOSS. The USPS is currently taking drastic measures, like requesting to stop Saturday Mail Services, and on January 2nd, of this year, the USPS implemented a postage rate increase for some Priority Mail® and Express Mail® services. All because of technology. But wait.. don't get me wrong. I LOVE email, but I also LOVE getting letters in the mail!


Ok now I will date myself a little, although some people out their will remember when they were less than 25 cents, but when I was little you could mail a letter for 25 CENTS. WHOA times have change.



Next time you see your "Mail Man" say Thanks! :)

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment